Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Picture Below The Title

Where is it? WBGV. Anyone know what that means? *wink*


West By God Virginia. Fairmont, West Virginia precisely.

It's the end of August and I've already got fall fever. Spring and fall battle it out for my most favorite time of year. But when we were living in WV, it was definately fall. It's just such a beautiful place. We only spent three years there, but I really miss it, especially this time of year.

What you see in the picture is downtown Fairmont. And I use the term downtown very loosely. We were living in downtown Fairmont when our daughter was born. She spent the first year and a half in that house, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

So if you're ever in the area, check it out. Especially around October. Oh, and if you're there you must get a hot dog from Yann's. A Fairmont institution. His hot dog shop sits right on the other side of the bridge seen in the picture. The bridge was originally built in 1921, and was nicknamed the Million Dollar Bridge because that's what is cost to build in 1921. But the bridge was restored in 2000 and got the new nickname, the Billion Dollar Bridge. The local joke is that the bridge was built to let Fairmont residents on the other side of the river eat at Yann's. Great hot dogs. But I think part of the greatness comes from the experience more than anything. Oh and the crazy spicy chili hot dog sauce. But don't dare order ketchup. There are even signs forbidding customers from ordering anything but mustard, onions and "hot dog sauce." Seriously.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I love that shot.

Also, I can't tell you how excited I am to be back on the East Coast for the fall.

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Oh how I wish we had a real fall around here. The trees go from lively green to crumbly brown almost overnight (and usually in December!).

I LOVE the fall. It is by far my favorite time of the year. Please do share some foliage shots when you get a chance!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.