Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I'm finally here. My first post.

I made it. Finally. I set up this blog ages ago, but there it sat. Out in cyberspace. Probably because I didn't want to deal with this first post. But also because the first title I came up with was Latin that I translated myself. So I was always afraid I had it terribly wrong. Spanish? Yes. Latin? Not my thing.

I've wanted to blog for a long time, and it seems like almost every day I think "ya know, if I had started blogging I would post about this." Or "I would take a picture of that and put it on my blog." And I have so many blogs that I love to read and so many friends that are loving the world of blog.

But, I've put it off. When I set up this blog I got totally excited, sat down to write my first post and said "humph." So that was the end of that. Put off until tomorrow....isn't that how it goes?

So what do you put in a first post? Should it be simple and to the point? Grand in nature? Written more for me or for a reader? I guess to get started I'll strike a balance. Haha, see my blog title? How appropriate.

A brief explanation of the title - Almost ten years ago I was an undergrad on I think my third major and found myself enrolled in an intro to political science course because it qualified as an elective in my major at the time. But only about two weeks into the course my life took a pretty big turn. Up until that point I was pretty indifferent about the whole college experience. It was okay. Going to class was more of a chore, and I struggled to get my work done on time. But I fell in love with this poli sci course. I declared a second major, and from then on I had a new attitude towards higher education. It was pretty damn fun. So I spent almost the next ten years of my life as a full time college student. And I'm still completely distraught that it all had to come to an end.

Oh yes, the title of my blog? Well the title of the book for that course was called "A Delicate Balance." I really don't think there is a more appropriate title for an American Politics textbook. So I love the phrase, but not just to describe politics. So much in life I think is a delicate balance. We all try to balance work, family, school, friends, community, etc. We try to balance growing older while trying to feel younger. We make sacrifices in some parts of our life so we can more fully enjoy other parts. It all really is simply a delicate balance.

Well this first post is already longer than I would have liked.....

So what you'll find in my blog. I'm a wife, a mother, a college instructor, a photographer, a fairly new homeowner....so you'll see a lot of pictures. Mostly of our fabulously cute two year little girl, but also of our never ending home improvement projects, our coastal virginia community, did I mention my two year old? And I'll throw in posts about life, current events, cooking, gardening, and all the other projects I never seem to have enough time for. Oh yeah, we just got a new German Shepherd puppy, Eliza, and she is an adorable handful. So you will no doubt get to read about our adventures in puppyhood.

So I'm going to fight the urge to read over this a thousand times and just post it. Then I will go off and figure out how to add pictures, links and other really cool stuff. Maybe someday my blog will actually be pretty.

Okay, now that this is out of the way I am really excited!

4 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

Hey Nora! I am so thrilled to find your blog. woo hoo! I can't wait to see what you have to say. I have missed you! HUGS!
Welcome to blogging. I surely am having a blast with it. I am trying to find balance myself. Work is really cutting into me FUN time! :)
May I add you to my blogroll?

Meghan said...

We all try to balance work, family, school, friends, community, etc. We try to balance growing older while trying to feel younger. We make sacrifices in some parts of our life so we can more fully enjoy other parts. It all really is simply a delicate balance.

If that's not the truth, I don't know what is.

I'm so glad you started a blog, Nora. I can't wait to read about your life and see all your amazingly beautiful photos. Welcome to the Lang of Blog!

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Hooray, hooray, HOORAY!! So glad you have gotten sucked in to blogland. WOO HOO! I love your explanation of your blog name. Can't wait to read more - and see more pics, always! :D

Mary Ann said...

Yay! I'm so excited about your new blog!!!! I can't wait to read more and see lots and lots of pictures.