Saturday, September 1, 2007

Craft Saturday: Suncatchers

Playdoh gets old real fast. Ainsley and I love doing crafts and projects, but we've been in need of some inspiration. So after getting an idea from a friend, today we tried making suncatchers for the first time. Very easy and lots of fun!

All you need is wax paper, crayons, scissors, nylon string/fishing line, an iron and paper/newspaper/cardboard/etc.

1. Shave the crayons on one a sheet of wax paper. I use about a 12 inch wide piece.
2. Place another sheet of wax paper over top -the same size as bottom piece.
3. Place it between two pieces of newspaper/cardboard/paper/etc, making sure that the shavings don't leak out the sides.
5. Iron on lowest setting for 30 seconds or so, just until the shavings have just begun to melt.
6. Once the crayon melts, let cool and then you can cut it into different shapes.
7. Punch a hole on the top, and string it with nylon line and hang it in a window.

Here are our first attempts. Ignore my dirty windows.



And my very uncrafty husband came up with this idea, and even sat down and made this tree himself. He shot me a mean look when I suggested I take his picture while crafting.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

What a cool craft - and who knew it was so easy?! I'm going to have to try those with my niece.

Also... I love the photographs, especially #2. Beautiful.

Corey~living and loving said...

ooooooooooooooo that is fabulous! Thank for sharing the idea Nora. I too, lik the second picture a lot.
I think it is totally cool that DH made one too. :)