Thursday, September 6, 2007

Curious Parenting Observation

So I can't be the parent of a potty training two year old, and not have just one post about the potty, can I?

Now I don't want ignore everything my husband does with raising our child. He really is the perfect dad, and I couldn't have asked for a better parenting partner. We really work like a team, and really look at parenting the same way.

And he dove right into his dad duties when Ainsley was born. I had a c-section and couldn't get out of bed the first day. I really don't think I'll ever forget the image of him changing that first icky newborn diaper. You know, the really icky one? Nor will I ever forget his exclaimation, "Oh my GOD, it's like tar. I can't get it off her....it's ON ME now....it's everywhere....how am I supposed to do this and hold her legs at the same time...oh now she's squirming!"

He'd never changed a diaper in his life. He'd never practiced in those nice parenting classes the hospital offers. We skipped that stuff.

But one thing that I have noticed during the potty training, is that I think that men, my husband included, think that potty training is just mom's job. Now how's that?

About 2% of Ainsley's potty training success can be attributed to Daddy.

But about 98% of her accidents are Daddy's fault too. This is how:

A: Daddy, I hafta pee.
Daddy (holding the playstation controller): Hang on just a mintue ....
A: I gotta pee Daddy.
Daddy: Just one more second...
A: (looking down at the floor) I toldya I had to pee, I toldya....

But, regardless of my lack of help, Ainsley has graduated to big girl panties! Of course, her favorites are the Dora undies.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hee hee! Oh wow, what is it with dads sometimes? Ainsley is such a cutie though! I love "I toldya"! :)

Corey~living and loving said...

LOL....ummm yeah....sounds like an interesting observation there.
I am so happy to hear that Ainley is loving her dora panties...I can't wait for panties...so far...my girl could seriously care less!