Friday, January 25, 2008

Photoshop Friday: Harsh Urban Lighting

I've been waiting all week to do this post! I'm definately having fun with Photoshop Fridays. I'll have to fight the urge not to start Photoshop Everyday. hehe...

I have a cool effect that is VERY easy to achieve. I had decided I will get all high tech and start doing screen shots with my Photoshop Friday tutorials, but this one is so basic it doesn't even really need it.

I don't really have a good name for the effect, but it gives sort of a desaturated, urban feel to photos. It definately looks better on some photos than others, but have fun playing!

1. Open image you wish to apply effect.
2. Duplicate layer.
3. On duplicate layer go to Layer --> New Adjustment Layer --> Hue/Saturation
3. On the Hue/Saturation window, move the saturation slider all the way to the left to completely desaturate the image. Select OK.
4. In the Background Copy layer (they layer where you adjusted the saturation,) set blending mode to Overlay.
5. Adjust the opacity of the Background Copy layer to achieve desired results.
6. Flatten image.

Some examples. And you can click on any of the images to see larger sizes. :)

Before (are you sick of this picture yet? ;)



After



Before



After



Before



After

5 comments:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

VERY cool! I love that last shot of A. (Are you using her name here? I can't remember . . .) Very nice effect on some already great shots!

Corey~living and loving said...

oooo what a fun tip. I am not sure I have tried that one yet...but I am off to try it right now. :) thanks Nora.

oh and I agree that last photo is precious.

Corey~living and loving said...

ARe you 100% sure we change the opacity of the "background layer" and not the "Saturation layer"?

Nora said...

LOL Corey, you're right. I call it the "background layer" in my head, but it's the background copy layer - the layer on which you've adjusted the saturation. Sorry!

Corey~living and loving said...

So glad. I was getting some pretty funky results using the other layer. LOL